Peter van Straten (ZA '72)
Velen geloven dat ze nooit dromen. Sommigen geloven dat dromen nooit uitkomen. Ik geloof dat dromen de metaforen zijn van de mogelijke werkelijkheid. Van magische, mysterieuze verbeeldingen die nog nooit getoond zijn. Beelden die ik kan creëren.
Peter van Straten
The Painter and the Portal: https://vimeo.com/322734780
Van Straten is geboren in 1972 in Johannesburg, Zuid Afrika. Bij zijn afstuderen werd hij beloond met de prestigieuze Sanlam Student Art Award. Hij wordt exclusief vertegenwoordigd in de Benelux door The Obsession of Art.
Biografie Peter van Straten
Johannesburg, South Africa
- Release in Holland of “Achtbaan” book, collaboration with Stef Bos.
- Solo Exhibition “Rainbow to Heaven” Obsession of Art, Netherlands.
- “Return” Exhibition with Bowen Boshier, Cape Gallery.
- “Reco/Verso” group exhibition, Breytenbach Centre, Wellington.
- “Persistance of Vision “ group exhibition, Knysna Fine Art.
- 23rd Solo Exhibition, The Obsessioin Gallery, Netherlands.
- Represented at Naarden Art Fair by The Obsession of Art Gallery, Netherlands.
- “Wild, wild life” group exhibition, Glen Carlou Gallery, Paarl
- 22nd Solo Exhibition “Rivers of Life” Obsession of Art Gallery, Netherlands
- Represented at Naarden Art Fair by Obsession of Art Gallery, Netherlands.
- 21st Solo Exhibition “Magic by Image” - Obsession of Art Gallery, Netherlands.
- Everard Read Winter Group Exhibition
- “20th Anniversary” group exhibition, Knysna Fine Art Gallery.
- “Drought” group exhibition, Artvark Gallery, Kalk Bay.
- “Illusive Reality” group exhibition, Cape Gallery, Cape Town.
- Heironymus Bosch Tribute Exhibition at the 2017 Woordfees Stellenbosch, (ZA)
- Solo Exhibition the Obsession of Art Bergen NL
- Collaboration on a book with Stef Bos
- “A Certain Kind of Madness” exhibition, Imibala Gallery, Somerset West
- “Break the Spell – Spreek die Woord” exhibition – Woordfees, Stellenbosch
- “Spotlight on Peter van Straten” – Obsession of Art Gallery, Netherlands.
- “Vernissage” Group exhibition, Moor Gallery Franschoek
- “Contemporary Masters of Art” exhibition, The Obsession of Art Gallery, Bergen, Holland.
- “Kunstenaar as Outeur” group exhibition: Klein Karoo Kunstefees
- Group exhibition with Bown Boshier: Cape Gallery
- “Equus” Group exhibition: Cavali Estate, Stellenbosch
- “BYOID”Group exhibition, Knysna Fine Art, Knysna
- “Woordfees” Group exhibition: D Street Gallery, Stellenbosch
- Group exhibition: Grande Provence Estate, Franschoek
- Group exhibition: Groot Constantia wine estate, Cape Town
- “Re-phrase/de-code” group exhibition: D Street Gallery, Stellenbosch
- “Ressessie” Group exhibition: Klein Karoo Kunstefees
- “Magicus” Group exhibition: D Street Gallery, Stellenbosch
- Group exhibition, Cavali Estate
- Summer show group exhibition: Everard Read Gallery, Cape Town
- Group exhibition: D street Gallery
- Short story “Ventriloquist Voice” adapted for theatre by Callum Tilbury, and performed at The Little Theatre, UCT
- Solo exhibition: “An invitation from the depths,” Casa Labia Gallery, Cape Town.
- Registration of The Peter van Straten Art Foundation.
- Group show: “Wild life – subtle connections”, Cape Gallery, Cape Town.
- Group show: “Winter exhibition,” Everard Read Gallery, Cape Town.
- Group show: “Other Worlds” Intoto Gallery, Johannesburg.
- Solo Show: “Encounters at the edge” Knysna Fine Art Gallery, Knysna.
- Finalist exhibition – Sovereign Art Award Africa 2011, Joburg Art Fair
- 18th Solo Exhibition ”The man on the street”: Everard Read Gallery, Cape Town.
- Group show: Art in mind, Brick Lane Gallery, London.
- Group show: ‘15’ Everard Read Gallery
- Group show: “Threshold” Everard Read Gallery, Cape Town.
- Commissioned to draw five landscapes on the walls of the Da Vinci Hotel, Sandton, Johannesburg.
- Group show: “Sex Power Money” Everard Read Gallery, Cape Town.
- Group show: “The City” Everard Read Gallery, Cape Town.
- Solo Ehibition – “The silence and the bell” – Irma Stern Museum, Cape Town
- “HIV Positive” Exhibition. –Sun City
- Group Exhibition – “Beyond Matter” – Menier Chocolate Factory Gallery, London
- Solo Exhibition – “The Bends” – Knysna Fine Art Gallery
- Solo Exhibition “Mystic Eye” – Investment Art Gallery – Cape Town
- Solo Exhibition – “Luminous mysteries” David Brown Fine Art – Johannesburg.
- Magazine feature: Habitat Magazine (November/December issue)
- Opening group show: “David Brown Fine Art” Johannesburg.
- Contributer to “The Creative Block,” Hollard insurance, Johannesburg.
- Interviewed for “Kuns Kafee” SABC3.
- Group show: “Ten” Everard Read Gallery, Cape Town, celebrating ten years of democracy, as part of the Cape Town Festival.
- Contributes drawings to “Fooding about with Topsi”- an artists’ recipe book by renowned chef Topsi Venter.
- 13th Solo Exhibition – Knysna Fine Art - Knysna
- Included in “The Collector’s Guide to Art and Artists in South Africa”
- 12th Solo Exhibition - Knysna Fine Art - Knysna
- Launches satirical newspaper “The Observer”
- Solo Exhibition at “Namaste” as Part of the “Walking the Street” Festival - Observatory
- Featured on first Episode of “Innertainment” – SABC
- Featured as first “artist of the week” at launch of Global Arts Information
- Featured artist in first publication of “AHUM” magazine.
- Short stories included in “Urban One,” published by Spearhead
- Group Exhibition"Artists From the Cape" - Old Arts Gallery,
- University of Pretoria
- Artichoke - "Catharsis" Exhibition - Johannesburg
- Commissioned to produce a statue of the Virginfor the Roman Catholic Church - Kimberley
- Collaborates in “Falling Awake” with the Heel Arts Collective for the One City Many Cultures Festival- Cape Town
- Solo Exhibition - Third I Gallery
- Solo Exhibition - Chelsea Gallery, Wynberg
- Group Exhibition-Lightworker's Conference - New York City
- Solo Exhibition "Clouds"- Amani Wine farm, Stellenbosch
- Solo Exhibition "To hell with Reality" - Intecaf, Observatory
- Group Exhibition - Peter Visser Antiques
- Group Exhibition - Peter Visser Gallery, Cape Town
- Solo Exhibition - Chalk Farm Gallery, London
- Solo Exhibition- Chelsea Gallery, Wynberg
- Two paintings commissioned for the home of Mr. Mac Maharaj
- Solo Exhibition of "Ad-verts" at Primart, Claremont
- Solo Exhibition - Mellville Visual Arts Foundation, Mellville
- Matriculates from South African College Schools with full academic colours Awarded Sanlam Student Art Award